Saturday, March 03, 2007

Balance

A Balanced Life
A Balanced Diet
A Universe in Balance
A Balanced Budget
A Balanced Checkbook
A Balanced Sheet

Balance Everywhere

This is my version: Inner-peace, personal wellness, and peace of mind. You have to look and strive for a balance in your life. It’s easier said than done. We go through so many stages in our lives that it’s hard to keep up just with the changes we encounter let alone find a balance. For so many years, we are just followers and not decision makers. We are bound to our parents’ sense of direction and the society or the circle we live in. Our experiences are bound to the environment the surrounds us. This would have been much more limited, but our universe has vastly grown with access to the Internet, for good or for worse. There is a lot more to learn and a lot more to take in and a lot more to deal with now. Hopefully we are smarter too and can avoid the traps we encounter. Then we grow up and seek an education or train for a profession and end up getting into some kind of business with its daily challenges and routine repetitions. Soon we are on our own. We may even seek or find a partner in the mean time. It’s not always easy, but we have more control over our lives if we are fortunate. We should look for a balance and equilibrium in our life. Some can and some never will. Again it’s not easy, but we should at least try and look outside the box and remind ourselves of our options and choices. We may start a family and that’s even more complicated. It’s complicated, because we may lose ourselves to the task at hand. We should find a balance in work, play and family activities. Next to our childhood, these are the best years of our lives whether we realize it or not and we need to make time to cherish it.

What did you think? I’m not a philosopher! Did you think I was going to spell it out and tell you what’s up ahead? Luck is a big ingredient in all of this. You can call it fate if you want. I’m such a pessimist at times. Half the time I look at the glass half full. I’m always anxious that something unfortunate might happened and I may lose it all. I mean, you have to do your best and remain prepared. I don’t have all the answers. I hope you can also give me some advice too. Besides, I don’t think this is one size fits all kind of proposition. Just one free advice, start on your 401k, IRA, or whatever early.

I’m not going to suggest many links, since our needs and interests are different. You know what you need and what you’re looking for. Here is an interesting link, but remember: “Buyer Beware!”
Balance
Healthy Living with a Twist

9 comments:

zulhai said...

Ah yes. The trick is not what (balance), but how (to balance), isn't it?
Sigh.

Tigress said...

I almost felt with that last comment about starting the 401K early, that the "balance" you were referring to at the beginning was meant for the bank account and not life ;)

bijan said...

Zulhai: ur absolutely right. We all know what’s right, but need a push, a shove, a hint, or just outright a warning to see the light at the end of the tunnel and actually figure a way to focus and follow it. Most of us expect immediate gratifications that forget that we have to work on things and learn to be patient. Most good things require time and effort. It’s not easy, I give you that much. Dittos sigh ;) Eckhhh%#@%, I hate it when I sound philosophical :)

Amazing Tigress: Have you stopped bouncing yet? No, I’m sill talking about life’s challenges. One of them is a security (retirement: start 401k early) I know you have a good (& smart) head on your shoulder, but I also think ur too young to worry about these things. Plus, with the good job you landed you’ll bet set. I hope it’s tenure track? I'm so happy for you.

You know what? I had actually mad a promise to someone that I would respond to her question with a post, she’s probably not reading my blog any longer. That’s okay. I felt like Earl (in My Name is Earl) and that I had to scratch that off my list :)

Tigress said...

hmmm, ticking items off a list? Feels always good no matetr if others figure it out or not ;)

And yes, it is tenure-track :)

bijan said...

Tigress: What about Tiger? Did he get the same/similar job? (had to ask again :)

zulhai said...

Speaking of promises, where is my Azores blog? I want to hear about your adventures in the misty isles of my ancestors!

Anonymous said...

Finally I got here!
Great pictures and very wise post. I must write it down a few time, as I have a hard time keeping the "balance"!

bijan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bijan said...

Homeyra: Thanks and dittos & thanks for the email too. Sorry you’re having problem with your “connection” speed. I guess the least I could do is to pray to the god on Internet, Al Gore, for you :) Balance is really difficult to me. How do you balance your time with the significant other, kid(s), family, your single friends, your own hobbies, gym, entertainment, & etc., etc? Then it’s this damn thing called work that gets in the middle of everything. Is bloggin considered hobby or entertainment? I’m not sure which, because we seem to only want to do it when no one is around!
Zulhai: There wasn’t much of an adventure in Azores. What happened before and after was significant to me. I hope that’s good for now :)