Saturday, February 24, 2007

Our Beautiful Planet: The Real Macaw


I saw this wonderful program a few weeks ago and enjoyed it very much and was really moved by it. I’m so impressionable! I felt awful not sending in my donations yet this year. I should do it soon. I like to support PBS.ORG (KCET Channel 28 for me.) This reminded me to also send some money to NPR.ORG (radio program, the best.) I truly enjoy their programs and often. I see or hear many great foundations that usually support these stations. So, I feel small and ask myself how could my few dollars compare with the support they get from the big guys? I realize that I shouldn’t concern myself with them and must just do my part and be happy about it. There are so many good valuable programming on these media, but I can’t talk about all of them. I’ll just mention this one for now: The Real Macaw a Nature program.

It wouldn’t be right if I tried to explain or review it, because I would just be repeating their words and I’m sure they have done a much better job than I ever could. The reporters have done a great job, so I’ll just point you to the site links and you can read, listen, look at pictures or watch the video. I was very moved by this program. It’s nice to know that with all the chaos going on around the world, there are extraordinary solicitous and dedicated people who care about these magnificent birds and make it their lives’ mission to help preserve and promote the conservation and protection of these magnificent wonderful birds. With all the mayhem and obstacles that are laid in their paths I really hope they prevail in defending and protecting these birds from extinction and poachers and the lost of their habitats. Here is a starting point: I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. You really should take a look at this story here: The Real Macaw
Of course, these are not the only species in danger of extension. There are many more similar instances. All the species that depend on Amazon Rainforest are also in danger of extension as a result deforestation of their habitat. The over fishing of the oceans, polluting the rivers, disturbance and assault on the corral reefs, are among the many I can name.
I don’t want to sound like an animal rights activist, or give the impression of an over zealous conservationist, so I’ll stop here. All I’m trying to say is that this is the only planet we know of so far, that is so magnificent and one of a kind in sustaining life. We should really me mindful and careful of our planet. We have been given this gift, let’s take global warming seriously and participate and become more active in promoting the health of our planet and its species, in every little way we can. Let’s be kind to our planet.
Here are several links amongst many interesting ones:

The Earth Voice, Protecting the Animals.

The Coral Reef Alliance

Save China’s Tigers

Saves the Cheetahs

Iran Seeks to Save Rare Cheethas

Save the Elephants

US Government – Environmental Protection Agency

About Coral Reefs | Initiatives and Activities | Related Links

A note on U.S. EPA: Many times, you see a lot of contradictions here between their mission and the real policy they follow! I think we should understand and give them the benefit of the doubt that they might have their hands tight behind them but the administration in power.

An anecdotal note on Real Macaw: The ones observed and covered in the Nature program in South America all visit a hill side wall and chew and consume the minerals contained in the dirt to help with their digestion. They all do this on a regular basis, so I wondered to myself whether the ones living far away must have indigestions most days:

No comments: