Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Godless Dollar


I knew my prayers were answered!
Godless Dollar

In 1955, the year after Congress inserted the words “under God” in the Pledge of Allegiance, Congress required all currency to carry the motto “In God We Trust.”

Atheist challenges ‘In God We Trust’ Pledge of Allegiance foe Newdow sues to remove motto from U.S. currency. Here is another source on Wikipedia regarding In God We Trust history in U.S. Here a lot more historical references and background supporting the sentiments behind this from the Fact Sheets: Currency & Coins History of "In God We Trust" from United States Department of the Treasury.

3 comments:

Naj said...

Hah!
Yeah, divine divine divine dollar

Anonymous said...

I'll never understand what was wrong with E pluribus unum.

bijan said...

stephen: Bonjourno! Wellcome and thanks for the great and to the point comment. I wonder the same :)
You have a very intersting blog. I'll be back to read more.