Monday, December 31, 2007

Monika Jalili


Monika Jalili
Monika Jalili: NoorSaaz brings to life the rich history of Iranian culture through its music and poetry. This entrancing selection of songs spans time and place; traditional Persian folk favorites stand alongside love songs from the 1950s, 60s and 70s, a time of great cultural change in Iran. Using traditional and non-traditional instruments, as well as lyrics in Persian, English and French, the artists of NoorSaaz combine their influences to present original interpretations of this music. In this spirit of exploration, NoorSaaz aspires to create understanding through an appreciation of the beauty of Iranian culture.
Vocalist:
Monika Jalili is a classically trained vocalist born in New York City with a degree in Vocal Performance from The Manhattan School of Music and in French Literature from Columbia University. Monika has been a performer on stage and film since the age of 12 and was a student of the late Beverley Peck Johnson. Her performances have taken her to Lincoln Center, Carnegie Hall, Symphony Space, The Producers Club, The Tchaikovsky Concert Hall in Moscow, The Moscow Conservatory of Music, The Starlight Roof at the Waldorf Astoria, The Wortham Center (Houston), Wolf Trap (Virginia), The Shubert Theatre (New Haven) and venues throughout Europe, and around the US. She has performed on and been interviewed on many international television and radio programs worldwide. Monika's great love of Persian music and culture led her to create NoorSaaz with Megan Weeder.
Rest of the bios:Monika Jalili Noorsaz

Listen to here beautiful voice here. These are some great songs:
Solatneh Ghalba-ha
Janeh Maryam
Daryacheye Noor & Gole Gandom

7 comments:

Nazy said...

Thank you for this post, Bijan. She is remarkable. Thanks to you, she is now in my queue to write about soon. I really enjoy her sweet renditions of Iranian folk ballads. Can you imagine how much she must love Iran and Iranian music to have devoted her career to it? Happy New Year Bijan Jan. I'm glad 2007 didn't end before I found you! Here's to a happy and healthy and love-filled 2008!

bijan said...

Hi JJ. Thanks for visiting. The “BACK PAIN & BLOG” post is almost a year old. I left you a long response on that post regarding my back pain remedy (exercise!) I forgot to mention healthy food diet & weight control being a big part of it as well.

bijan said...

Hi Nazy. Great observation! You’re absolutely right about her. Thanks to you, it was your blog about Lily Afshar that prompted this post. Thank you and please do blog about her.

Chakameh Azimpour said...

Hello Bijan. Thanks for this post. I really like her. Sometime ago she a program in Thousand Oaks, but I was too busy with my parents who were leaving about the same time and couldn't make it!!
And then, regarding my last comment and your kind answer: I always have time for my friends. They are a (very important) part of my busy schedule :-))

bijan said...

Hi Chakameh. I had no idea she had been around here. It would have been great to see her. I learned about her from Foulla. Her husband is Iranian and she had wondered whether I had heard one the songs, Janeh Mariam. PS, You are too kind. Thank you my friend.

Naj said...

hmmm, you have undergone some existentialist transformation, heh? ;)

I'll be visiting you more often soon!

bijan said...

Hi Naj! Thanks and I'll take that as a complement ;)