Monday, January 07, 2008

Chinese Executions and 2008 Olympics


Chinese Executions!

Some days, life feels like such a struggle. I’m very moved and saddened when I’m reminded of these sort of news when we all just got done celebrating Xmas, the New Year and all other happy occasions. Life goes on, but I’m afraid not for everyone.

When it comes to capital punishment, I’m sort of an agnostic.

China shows caution on executions; Facing pressure before the Olympics, Beijing's policy is to 'kill fewer, kill carefully.' Activists urge more legal reforms.

I’m not picking on China. Many countries are guilty of this and still practice Capital Punishment.
I just want to say something. How about all those whose punishment should not be death? Once they’re gone there is nothing anyone can do.

6 comments:

Nazy said...

Salam Bijan Jan:

I should have come to visit earlier. It happened that another blogger friend had also talked about capital punishment in a recent post and I left him a comment there about the subject. Ba ejazeh, here's what I wrote on the subject:

Torture of a citizen is the most vile and inhumane thing a government can do. Death penalty is nothing but the ultimate form of torture. Capital punishment for heinous crimes must be life imprisonment, where the individual's true punishment is absolute and permanent separation from the society. Countries such as Iran, China, and United States in which the death penalty is exercised, are also countries in which other forms of torture are still prevalent. I wish for a day when our world has abolished the death penalty and all torture. A country that respects human rigts and doesn't torture and kill, will also be a country that prevents crimes, trains and educates its citizens, increases hope amongst its nation, encouraging them to thrive for a better standard of life, and provides medical and psychiatric assistance to its sick people. If it sounds idealistc, so be it. I have high hopes for humankind.

Be good Bijan Jan and here's hoping this would be a better year for all and most importantly for humanity.

bijan said...

Thank you Nazy. I couldn't have said it better myself. Very nicely put.

Chakameh Azimpour said...

Hello Bijan. I was so moved. Couldn't stop thinking about the whole idea who brought people to this type of punishment. Where did the kindness and humanity go when they were making such rules?
You and then Nazy very well expressed what I would say.

Anonymous said...

Execution of innocent people by any government is wrong, but I don't see or have any problem with capital punishment. An eye for an eye. You kill another human being and commit a crime, I'm sorry, then you have no right to your life. I don't believe society should care for killers by keeping them in big house and give them free meals everyday day. There are poor and sick people in the world that don't get that. please stop being kind to killers and murderers.

Tigress said...

Very unrelated: happy norooz :)

Anonymous said...

LOL that is funny. You will like this site too! 2008 Beijing Olympics