Friday, January 05, 2007

Back On The Chain Gang & 5+ Things about me

I wasn't very excited about participating in this chain revelation phenomenon that’s going around on the blogsphere. But Foulla tagged me and this for some reason reminded me of the old chain letters and one of my favorite songs, Back on the Chain Gang, by Pretenders, with that fond memory of this song in mind, I was happy to do it. But first, here is the music video followed by the lyrics to the song and my 5. I hope you like the song as much as I do:

Chrissie Hynde of Pretenders, one of my old favorites!


Back on the Chain Gang, Pretenders:
I found a picture of you, oh oh oh oh
What hijacked my world that night
To a place in the past
We’ve been cast out of? oh oh oh oh
Now were back in the fight
Were back on the train
Oh, back on the chain gang

A circumstance beyond our control, oh oh oh oh
The phone, the tv and the news of the world
Got in the house like a pigeon from hell, oh oh oh oh
Threw sand in our eyes and descended like flies
Put us back on the train
Oh, back on the chain gang

The powers that be
That force us to live like we do
Bring me to my knees
When I see what they’ve done to you
But Ill die as I stand here today
Knowing that deep in my heart
They’ll fall to ruin one day
For making us part

I found a picture of you, oh oh oh oh
Those were the happiest days of my life
Like a break in the battle was your part, oh oh oh oh
In the wretched life of a lonely heart
Now were back on the train
Oh, back on the chain gang


And since I was tagged, here are the things you don’t know about me:

- I do not believe in alien abductions anymore.

- When I was in grade school someone gave me a chain letter. I don't exactly remember the rules, but I had to re-write the letter several times and pass it on to several people, within so many hours, otherwise something horrible will happen to me or a loved one. I totally believed it and went thru a traumatic experience at the time.

- I don’t believe in the power or curses of Chain Letters any longer.

- In college, I had lined up 3 girls who would gladly marry me, to keep me in the country, because of my fear of facing the Immegration authorities and deportation, since I had worked while on a Student Visa.

- These used to be my favorite TV shows: Mork and Mindy, Benny Hill Show, Tracy Ullman Show, Cheers, Seinfeld, & Friends & of course earlier SNL’s & still 60 Minutes. I am just warming up to The Office and Grey’s Anatomy now.

- One freebie: I really like coffee, milk chocolate, and ice cream too.

Ps,
I can’t stand this about myself. I must be dyslexic or something. I’m such a slow reader and the worst speller. I can’t be more thankful for spell check, but even then, I still miss a few. My writing is totally cursed. Yah, I’ll blame it on that
:)

16 comments:

Me said...

I was also tagged by Foulla, i will answer her tag in the next few days i hope!
i love love that song, thanks for sharing the lyrics...also i have noticed that Gogoosh is one of your favorites to listen to, she was very popular in the 70's even in Jordan when i was still living there...whatever happened to her?? Thanks for sharing things about you..first time for me on your blog and i am sure it will not be the last! Have a great weekend!

bijan said...

Summer, you have a great taste in music ;):)
I think Gogoosh was forbidden to sing, while in Iran. A few years ago she left Iran and started to tour again. She had a couple of big and sold out concerts in Canada and US. I think she is single again and lives in US now and sings again, now & then.

Mehrabaneman said...

Happy new year. Don’t worry about spelling so much. I think most people are interested in the substance of the writing rather then spelling it;)

Chakameh Azimpour said...

Hello again. first thanks so much for visiting my blog. Then, Yep. I am living in Ventura-CA (56 miles north LA) since May 2005.
And finally about that clip. I don't remember her singing it, but the lyric is something that I fantasize with it. It reminds me of so many good memories.
Now, I can't believe you remember it :-)) You are not that OLD!

Anonymous said...

do you have any EMail ?

bijan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bijan said...

Hi Chakameh, I know where ventura is. I have passed it many times on the way to Santa Barbara or S.F. Actually we are not too far from each other, perhaps a little over 100 miles. Tell me more about your research, if that;s what you do, when you have time. No. I'm not tha old, but I'm also what you call, young at heart too. That song also reminds me of a song called, I beg you pardon, I nerver promissed you a rose garden. It's at the tip of my tong. I know if think hard enough, I'll remember the singer. If I'm not wrong. I believe one of the Beatles, Paul McCartney wrote it. But I may be wrong on the history, but here is a link and it's the music I remember:
http://www.marycy.org/rosegarden.html
:)

One girl from iran. Thanks for visting. My email is socalpersian@gmail.com.

bijan said...

Chakameh, Okay, I figured my mistake on, I beg your pardon, I never promissed you a rose garden."
The song that's produced by Paul McCartney is, Those were the days, song by Mary Hopkins and released on August 30, 1968, which Paul McCartney produced.

bijan said...

Mehrabaneman, thanks for the support. It makes me feel less illiterate. I just feel I wish I was a little better at it.

bijan said...

Doesn’t anybody else like my song, Back on the Chain Gang?. I really think it’s one of the best.,

Chakameh Azimpour said...

Hello Bijan. Thanks for looking into the song. It was good information.
He he. We go to Santa Barbara very often too. Amir (mu buddy) used to live there for 10 years, before he buys a home in Ventura. All of our friends are there.
I used to work in Vaccine research, then now I am working in a diagnostic company in West-LA,trying to design new and improved systems for diagnosis of the blood born viruses.
What do you do?

Loula la nomade said...

Hi Bijan,

I love this song. Thank you so much for posting it. I will now discover your two blogs. Thanks, also, for your kind comments on my blog.

bijan said...

Chakameh, I studied computer science and coincidently, I work for a group of hospitals, but nothing to do with viruses or amebas :)

Loula la nomade, Merci beaucoup, but pleasure is mine. I just need to work on my French how!

nyx said...

Hi bijan. Regarding your Ps, check out my post titled "to write or not to write". It really doesn't matter if you're a lousy speller or not ;-)
Take care dear.

bijan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bijan said...

Mehrabaneman, Foulla, & Nyx:

Well, it seems that not all complains have fallen to deaf ears and has not gone to waste. I think most are sick of my complains about being a bad speller. Some nicely sympathize and they tell me it’s not the end of the world. Others think it funny and refer to me as that Spelling Monster. That's cute! Nyx, just wrote a post about it, “To write or not to write.”

I kinda agree, but I argue that if this wasn’t an important issue and it wasn't for people's spelling, it would not have been bundled with word processing program and now all email services. Okay, I’ll get of my soap box. I really didn’t know that people are sick of my whining. I get the message and I will not complain about it again. I don’t think whining is banned. Whining about “common, small and stupid things” is shrieked.