Friday, January 12, 2007

You're So Vain

Say what you will, but I had to write this down tonight. Something came up and this is the first thing that came to mind. But, really, this is just for fun now, as I’m not him any longer. But, it’s good to be the king once in a while, even if it wasn’t for real. You can always look back and laugh at yourself and what little it took to lift your spirit up. Remember the movie Titanic? Leo and Kate, on top of the world, in the moment. I’m not talking about drugs or alcohol. I’ve never done any. I’ve wondered at times whether I missed out on that. I was just high on life, nothing artificial. I was young, had my own apartment, a fast car, and a part time job. That’s all I needed then. Well school work cut into the fun, but was okay, that’s where the girls were!

I don’t want to sound too presumptuous and vain (truly like Carly Simon’s song), but ever since I was little, I was very popular among my friends, and foes. Growing up in Iran, I went to one of the few mixed (sexes) schools in Tehran. I didn’t quiet understanding it at the time, at least not till higher grades. I thought I was everyone’s favorite, or maybe I truly was. I was very cute too, but I didn’t know that at the time. I knew most of the girls in my class liked me. The ratio was in my favor. So why wouldn’t I think that way? In high school I was very popular too. I was both a very good student and pretty good in sports too. I was also a trouble maker, but I never got caught, because no one ever suspected me. I had this innocent look about me, when I wanted to. I have very fond memories of the college years too. It's funny that I only remember the good times now. I have blocked all the hard work and all nighter study times. As they say, you had to be there. My mom always says, “Javoni Kojayee, keh yadet bekheir” Roughly translates to, “I miss my youth cherished memories.” Please be my guest if you have a better translation.

A while back, a girlfriend and I were looking at some old pictures when I was much younger, with the long hair and the mustache (Cat Stevens or more Jason King kinda look.) She said, but you’re so nice and sweet now, I would have never liked you if I had met you then. (I was thinking to myself, lady, with that attitude, I would have probably never gone out with you either! So vain!) We all change, for good or worst. I guess I’m gooder now.



Carly Simon, You’re So Vain, No Secrets - 1972



Here are the lyrics:
You walked into the party
Like you were walking onto a yacht
Your hat strategically dipped below one eye
Your scarf it was apricot
You had one eye in the mirror
As you watched yourself gavotte
And all the girls dreamed that they'd be your partner
They'd be your partner, and

You're so vain
You probably think this song is about you
You're so vain
I'll bet you think this song is about you
Don't you? Don't you?

You had me several years ago
When I was still quite naive
Well, you said that we made such a pretty pair
And that you would never leave
But you gave away the things you loved
And one of them was me
I had some dreams they were clouds in my coffee
Clouds in my coffee, and
You're so vain
You probably think this song is about you
You're so vain
I'll bet you think this song is about you
Don't you? Don't you?

I had some dreams they were clouds in my coffee
Clouds in my coffee, and

You're so vain
You probably think this song is about you
You're so vain
I'll bet you think this song is about you
Don't you? Don't you?

Well, I hear you went up to Saratoga
And your horse naturally won
Then you flew your Lear jet up to Nova Scotia
To see the total eclipse of the sun
Well, you're where you should be all the time
And when you're not, you're with
Some underworld spy or the wife of a close friend
Wife of a close friend, and

You're so vain
You probably think this song is about you
You're so vain
I'll bet you think this song is about you
Don't you? Don't you? Don't you?

You're so vain
You probably think this song is about you
You're so vain
You probably think this song is about you
You're so vain
You probably think this song is about you

You're so vain (so vain)
I'll bet you think this song is about you
Don't you? Don't you? Don't you?

8 comments:

Arsh said...

It's always good to remember sweet memories! Good for you for being always popular!

It's my first time visiting your blog, it's a nice one!

Have a nice weekend.

Ciao

Me said...

what a nice song!!
i was about 12 when i first heard it, i sat so colse to my tape recoder trying to write the words to it!!! thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

none of what u said came as a surprise to me ...I "knew" u had a glory past and I'm sure your present is more balanced and as "glorious"..;)

Mehrabaneman said...

And I do think that we all change. As you grow older you don’t sweat the small stuff as much, you become more grounded. Your priority changes in life and they are usually for better. You become more in tune with who you are and what you want. Nevertheless we all have to go through the experiences.

bijan said...

Hi Arsh, thanks for visiting. I don’t remember what led me to your blog, but I find it very interesting.

Foulla, Thanks! Wow! Is that a compliment or what? That obvious and transparent? I wish you could elaborate.

Mehrabaneman, thank you. You are very correct. I think I’m gooder now :)

How come nobody mentions the music, well almost no one? I get so excited when I find a great song that I can relate to be immersed in and have fun and write about.

Me said...

Bijan...i said that this song is great!! read my comment up there! very nice music, great words and the voice of Simon is so nice!!!

bijan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bijan said...

Hi Summer. Thank you for both of your comments. When I said how come almost "no one", I was trying to appreciate your comment. I wanted to post another Carly Simon video that shows her, but at the moment something has gone wrong with my ability to post Youtube videos. I can’t figure what’s wrong yet. Thanks again :)