Saturday, January 20, 2007

Worries: Back pain & Bad Blogs










I feel like an old man today and have realized I can’t just write about one thing without referring to another. So bear with me please. Everytime, I want to write and add to my blog, I feel like apologizing and stress that I’m not a blogger as if it is a sin or I’m an imposter pretending to be a blogger. I honestly believe that and I’m afraid it might sound too hypocritical! I like to say it though, without any ill feelings or prompting a negative vibe from the reader. After all I shouldn’t care that much, since I hardly have that many readers.

I’m always concerned about what I want to say on my last blog, because if I ever stop for a while or just stop for good, I want my last posting to be of some significance. So, why am I bothered by that?

I admit I enjoy reading other’s blogs and there are some that I look forward to their new posts. My problem is that when I read something that I like or something that interjects a response then I like to leave a comment, or just for fun to say something funny. That worries me, because then I think the blogger whose blog I have commented on, may want to return the favor and check out my blog. That’s when I feel uneasy and feel that I have to post about something interesting, important, fun, or “deep” to engage my reader. After all it is as if my reputation was on line. Honestly that’s the way I feel, but at the same time, I enjoy reading and finding new interesting people. I guess I’m going in circles now.

I had something else in mind to write about, but I’ll save it for later. Today, like I said earlier, I have felt like an old man since yesterday. I have a bad back and once in a while I feel this muscle tightness in my back that makes it difficult and painful to get up and move around. It started several years ago when I was only 20 and in the middle of a soccer game. I jumped up to head a ball and when I landed, I got the worst muscle spasm ever. I felt I could hardly talk or even breath! In short, that pain puts root canal to shame. I know about both. But the first time it happened I could not move for 48 hours. After some bed rest and lots of Tylenols I went to see a doctor. My doctor at the time told me that was due to a condition I was born with and it would have happened sooner or later. Not a very good explanation at the time. That didn’t stop me, but another pinched nerve and muscle spasm a few years later and a subsequent MRI showed that I had a degenerative disk. Two solutions were offered. Limit my sport activities and exercise to build my mid section and back muscles. I learned about body posture and ergonomics. I learned how to lift correctly and all the crap. I call it crap, because I was too young to face that and because sports were a big part of me. I was pretty good at most sports. I have great reflexes. I was extremely quick and had great hand eye coordination. Participating in sports, made feel great and almost immortal at times! That I blame on my age at the time. I felt like it was unjustly taken away from me. I was very pissed. Why me? That’s pretty much why I hardly ever play soccer, tennis, racquetball, volleyball due to the fact that I’m too scared to get another muscle spasm. There is no pain on earth that could rival that feeling. Trust me on this. You become almost paralyzed and any movement, including breathing can produce an excruciating pain, like a bolt of lightening flowing thru your body. It usually takes 2-3 days to get moving again after some careful exercises. I still ski, but I must be very careful not to do anything stupid.

Nowadays, once in a while in the middle of some activity, all of a sudden, I feel a muscle tightness in my back and I’m reminded of my pack pain quick enough to stop doing what ever I’m doing immediately or face another horrific muscle spasm.. I need to do take it easy and do more warm ups and avoid any sudden moves or lifting anything heavy. So, I’m going to the gym now hoping to return with a little less pain. It will take me a few more trips to feel normal again.

11 comments:

zulhai said...

I came to this blog from Shirin in Engelstan, and am enjoying your writing (regardless of spelling).
Hope you are feeling better.

bijan said...

Hi Zulhai! Thanks for stopping by. I've left a long comment on your blog.

zulhai said...

Got it! Thanks for the comment, it is a thrill to have a visitor, even in cyber-life.
As for your question, it is my hands and arms which are Persian.
-- Just kidding.
I think you have given me an excellent topic for my next post, though!

Anonymous said...

I like your blog.

bijan said...

Hi Foulla! Kheilie Mamnoon ;)

Mehrabaneman said...

Bijan Jan,
Life is just too short and complicated to worry about other people’s expectations. I grow up in a family with a very high expectation. I hate expectations and I feel so much pressure when I feel that I am expected to do something. However, at this point in my life I am so comfortable with who I am that if somebody does not like it, well too bad.
(There is fine line between being stubborn and arrogant v. comfortable and self esteem) If your reader don’t like what you wrote well too bad, they can go to another blogg. You should write about what you want and feel. The purpose of writing is to communicate what you feel not say thing that other people want to hear. We have a saying, “What comes from heart goes to heart.” Harche az del barayad be del neshinad ;) Keep writting.

bijan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bijan said...

mehrabaneman: Thank you. Nice to hear from you :)

Anonymous said...

Back Pain is a pain in my… well… back!
I was hit by a car a few years ago and since then I have suffered a lot of lower back pain and back ache! I was on strong painkillers for awhile but then I was getting addicted to them so had to drop them before it got too bad. That was about a year ago now and since then I have been looking for alternate ways of relieving the pain and aching until a month ago I was struggling to find anything that helped but I managed to get hold of some Cheap Sleepeezee Beds and I finally got a good nights sleep! It was great!
However!
Upon waking from my beautiful bed the relief only lasted until I got to work then the suffering began once more.
Can anyone give me any advice to ease my pain?

bijan said...

Hi JJ. Thanks for visiting and commenting. The only thing that works and has kept on working for me is repeated visits to the gym. I mean having a regular exercise routine. For me going to the gym works. I try to go three times a week. I work with several machines and I swim at the end.
I use stairmaster, bikes for legs and knees and others for abdominal, lower back weight machines and also upper body. I do visit about 8-10 different exercise & weight machines and two step or bike type and like I said I finish the routine with 10-20 minutes of swimming. Then again that works for me by strengthening my back and abdominal muscle. I am not sure if that’s the answer to all back pain problems.
I must add and stress that sometimes it becomes mental or will power fight to leave the comfort of the couch at home and force yourself to go to the gym. I have realized that I just can’t get myself to do much at home, but when I leave for the gym I am halfway there. When I get to the gym, over time, I have a set of routine exercises and I just try to follow that. It may take a while for you to accomplish that, but you have to start somewhere and work your way week after week to reach your goal.

bijan said...

Hi again JJ. I forgot to mention healthy food diet & weight control being a big part of this remedy as well.