Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Holocaust Reminder


Iran hosted a conference last month that questioned whether Holocaust really happened or is it just a myth.
Israel’s Holocaust memorial has launched a version of its Web site in Farsi and an Arabic version is on its way. I applaud Israel’s relentless effort in revealing the horror and treatment of Jews by Nazi Germany over 65 years ago.

I’m also reminded of other genocides, ethnic cleansing, and autocratic tyrannical reign of governments over its own people, either currently going on or not too long ago.

Who will speak for them? Who would put an end to hunger, poverty, spread of HIV, child labor, and religious conflicts? Are we ever, as a human race, able to triumph over ignorance, superstition, discrimination, prejudice, bigotry, fanaticism, and radical blind religious convictions?

I’m hopeful one day we might, but it won’t be in my life time. My god, there are so many more wrongs that I like to see corrected.

On top of my wishes is the abolishment of chauvinistic authoritarian practices in most radically religious countries by educating those thickhead misogynist madrasa converts and spread of women rights in most those third world countries and some not so third world.

No blood diamonds either, so you know my last movie too. Since I’m on a roll, let’s all pledge to do our part about the global warming and ozone layer depletion. I have not followed up on the cows’ methane producing excrements and its direct effect on the ozone layer, so I have no opinion on that, but I will look in to it, for sure.

My last immediate wish is to bring the price of tortilla bread (and yellow corn) down so that Mexicans that don’t make it over the border don’t go hungry.

So, which holocaust is worse? Is any disaster, man made or natural, any less heart wrenching than another?

We catch, prosecute, and dish out punishment on perpetrators. How come we never blame God for his part? Couldn’t he prevent the holocaust, any of the genocides, or other man made atrocities?

I had a lot on my mind that I tried to squeeze in one post. I like to mention that in no time, I was trying to make light of the Holocaust that the Jews endured or trying to compare it with any other disaster or event at another time. Every event, an all the items I’ve mentioned or touched upon (even the images) are separate major discussion and topics and deserve their own attention without bundling them into one space. Please forgive my writing style and cynicism as in no way I mean to offend anyone or any group.

Although, I’ll argue that the Muslims who go out on day of Ashura (some time this month) and inflict pain and injury on themselves are perhaps a little misguided. Read about Day of Ashura for yourself.

I was glad to learn that this practice was banned in Iran in 1934, but probably it’s back and encouraged under the current political system. I'm glad that girls are more sensible about it.

14 comments:

zulhai said...

The world is really weighing heavily on your mind.
Time for Haagen Daas?
I used to be a firm advocate of Israel until I noticed the deafening silence from that part of the world regarding the Ethnic Cleansing in Yugoslavia/Bosnia/Serbia/Herzegovina/whatever it eventually turned into. At last I understood that Jews are not making a stand against evil so much as taking care of their own.
The only way, I think, to fight the helplessness and outrage these thoughts bring is to do what one can in one's own corner. I can't do anything about the Holocaust, but I can volunteer at the Food Bank. Who knows where the ripples of a positive action will go?

Anonymous said...

i hope you won't find this offensive but i couldn't finish reading your post because of the images that were popping here and there, all over the post! i don't have anything against using images but the layout looks a bit disorganized and hard to follow. i first though it looked like that on firefox but i tried IE and it's still the same. yet i understand that it might be your style or something of that sort! so if that's how you like it, don't mind me!

bijan said...

Hi Negar: I’m sorry! You are totally right. I’m a Spelling Monster and now Disorganized too. I agree. Well, tell you the truth it’s not really my fault. I wish all the pictures were the same size, but that’s how they are when I find them. I don’t want to spend any more time resizing them, so I just upload them as they are. I already waste enough time searching for them. It’s just a stupid blog I tell myself and not a work of art, but I see your point. I just wished it hadn’t bothered you to the point to avoid reading the whole thing. I value your input and thank you for bringing it up.

bijan said...

Okay Negar, thanks to you, I reformatted the post. The pictures are references to some disaster around the globe, placed randomly, and do not necessarily reflect the paragraph next it.

Anonymous said...

much much better. i read the post! i don't think things will ever change for better yet it's only humane to hope for the world to become a less disastrous place.

Tigress said...

U have to admit thought that with the new layout it is long enough that it discourages from reading ;)

Naj said...

I don't know what people have against long posts ... I guess we just want snappy information that we can form a quick opinion about, or run them against the database of our set ideas, to check their validity in a banarist manner.

anyways, Just to let you know that "ghameh-zani" was announced OFFICIALLY illegal in this Ashura!

People who inflict pain on themselves, do take pleasure from it. Misguided, well .. since I don't think ANYONE is guiding anyone to self-mutilate, we can't talk of guidance here; but misjudging or pathologically-behaving is perhaps the words you want to use to describe certain people's ritualistic practices.

bijan said...

Tigress: Thank for visting. I know, some people don't like long posts. I'm here to please, so I will post some short one's in the near future.
Naj: Thanks for the support and you're right, I was just being nice, when I called them misguided and I used it in this context of this dictionary definition:
mis·guid·ed
adjective
Definition:
mistaken, heedless, or inappropriate: motivated by or based on ideas that are mistaken, heedless, or inappropriate

Anonymous said...

I didn't see this post previously, I like the presentation.
I am a visual myself, and I always appreciate if there is an effort to make the reading pleasant... whatever the content.
It seems that each of us realize that we cannot overlook the larger picture and get obsessed with our own private misery.
Many of us are at the "admitting" phase.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Tigress said...

Bijan, be here to please urself not us ;) We appreciate it all (disclaimer: we will complain every now and then!)

Tigress said...

oh, and the answer is : Materials Science and Engineering :)

bijan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bijan said...

Homeyra: I really like your blogs and thank you for visting and thank you for your remarks. I agree.
Tigress: Thanks. Come to think of it, you're a little edgy. Regardless, I think you can use a vacaction. Didn't you just have a few days off though? I enjoy your comments ;)

Tigress said...

;D I think everybody can ALWAYS use a vacation: the world would then be a bit more relaxed too ;)